Sunday, March 4, 2012

Pondering Worcestershire Sauce

After moving to Maine, I discovered that I am allergic to seafood. I am not overly upset by this, as I never really enjoyed the texture and taste of most shellfish. I do miss a few things though: blackened cajun salmon, tuna fish sandwiches in the summer, and miso soup. I would love to tell you that I have found reasonable substitutes for all of these, but that really is not possible. Well, the miso soup can be approximated. I just replace the bonito with vegetable or chicken bouillon and salt or soy sauce. The flavor is not the same, but it is close enough to satisfy me.

The thing that saddens me is that I believe that the allergy is becoming more sensitive and so I am attempting to avoid fish completely. This means I am not able to use worcestershire sauce, which is sad because it is such a unique flavor that when it is left out of a dish it is noticeable. So, I am doing some research and thinking that I may attempt to make my own. This is partly because I also want to make this barbecue sauce that I love and it calls for a lot of worcestershire sauce. I found this site that has a lot of useful information and recipes. I may also dig through some of my older cookbooks and see what I can find there. Once I make an attempt at it, I will update you on the outcome.

No comments:

An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.