Monday, March 26, 2012

Beet and Mushroom Fry

Looking in my refrigerator tonight, I realized that there were a few items I needed to use up before I go shopping again. Sometimes those random foods can be combined to make a delicious meal (and sometimes not... that has happened to me before). Tonight my random ingredients consisted of some mushrooms, kale, beets and asparagus. I also noticed some bacon grease I needed to use. I would not replace the bacon grease, as it adds a lot of flavor to the meal. If you don't have any on hand, just fry up some bacon (maybe put some in the dish) and store the rest to be used in your eggs in the morning. The last ingredient was thanks to Tendercrop Farm. I just made a trip to their awesome market down in Massachusetts this weekend, where I picked up some kielbasa they make there. It is the perfect kielbasa because it is smoky and flavorful without being an odd shade of red (hello food coloring to standardize the appearance of mass produced foods). Also, it isn't greasy like so many kielbasas on the market right now. It's pretty much perfect and I know people who have never liked kielbasa who love Tendercrop Farm's kielbasa. It's perfectly matched with the ingredients I had on hand. I served the fry over some leftover Potatoes-on-the-Grill, but you could just boil a few potatoes instead or maybe grate them and throw them into the pan with the beets. In the end, this was a fast meal and quite satisfying.

Beet and Mushroom Fry

4 tbsp bacon grease
8 inches kielbasa, quartered lengthwise and then sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
3 portabella mushrooms, chopped
2 beets, grated
2 c shredded kale, washed
8 spears asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
salt and pepper to taste

Melt the bacon grease in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add kielbasa and cook until it starts to brown.
Add garlic and cook briefly.
Add mushrooms and cook until water is released and starts to cook off.
Add grated beets and cook until ingredients are sizzling in the pan and not simmering in their own water.
Add kale and asparagus and cook, stirring constantly, until asparagus is tender but not overcooked.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over potatoes.

No comments:

An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.