Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Mango-Blueberry Smoothie

Apologies for a couple days of silence; I have been living on leftover Shepherd's Pie and Lemon Caper Pasta for a few days now. Not that I am complaining, these are some delicious leftovers. Sadly, due to some laziness and late nights, my breakfast the past couple days has been uninspired. I believe I had yogurt with a banana and walnuts one day and this morning I put together some leftover "Potatoes on the Grill," spinach and cheese which I microwaved once I got to work. Determined to make tomorrow morning more interesting, I whipped up the smoothie below tonight so that I can take it for my breakfast. It is not the most beautiful color, sort of a muted purple-green color. But, I did taste it and I am excited for breakfast! The blueberry and mango worked well together. I added a lot of kale for extra vitamin goodness. I love that you can add this vegetable to just about any smoothie and the flavor is not altered. Also, the carrot juice melts into the background; I think because mango and carrot share some similar flavors. The blueberry definitely jumps out at you on this smoothie, unlike the others I have posted before. All in all, quite a tasty smoothie for something I threw together with what I had in the house. Don't you love when that happens?

Mango-Blueberry Smoothie
(makes about 3 servings)

1 ripe mango, peeled and chopped
1/2 c frozen blueberries
4 oz extra soft tofu
3 c chopped kale, washed
1 c carrot juice
1/2-1 c unsweetened soy milk

Place all ingredients in a blender (start with 1/2 c of the soy milk) and blend until smooth. Add more soy milk if it is too thick.

No comments:

An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.