Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Garlic Ginger Beef

Last week I had a roast that needed to be cooked, but I still haven't gotten around to re-cleaning my oven, so I couldn't roast it. So, instead I cut it in half and put half of it in a crock pot (my crock pot is very small) with 6 crushed cloves of garlic, 2 inches of ginger, peeled and sliced, 1 cup vegetable broth, and enough water to cover. It cooked overnight and was absolutely delicious. The flavor might be a bit strong for some people, in which case you would need to reduce the amount of garlic and ginger.

I ate the roast two ways. One was in a salad of green leaf lettuce with a ginger and sesame dressing (also made by me, but I can't recall what I put in it beyond grated ginger, sesame oil, olive oil, and brown rice vinegar). I also sliced the roast thinly and piled it on french bread with some Russian kale and freshly ground black pepper. This was an easy way to make a very versatile base for meals. I think I might do this again and make a pasta salad out of it.

No comments:

An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.