Saturday, June 30, 2007

Curry Tortillas

I did a little experimenting today and came up with curry tortillas. Now I'm starting to dream up ways to fill them (I ate them with soup tonight).

Curry Tortillas
(I apologize, but I didn't measure any of this. I totally winged it.)

two generous handfuls of flour
salt (about 1/2 tsp, maybe less, maybe more)
1 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp butter
approximately 2 to 3 tbsp warm water

In a small mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt and curry powder with a fork.
Using hands, rub the butter into the flour until it's well mixed. (Like making pie crust).
Add the water 1 tbsp at a time, stirring with the fork.
Add enough water so that the dough forms a ball.
I divided the dough into four equal parts.
On a lightly floured board, roll out one part of the dough until thin.
Heat a cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
Once the skillet is hot, turn the heat down to medium.
Place the rolled out tortilla on the hot skillet; cook approximately 30 seconds on each side (adjust this time to how well they are getting cooked and how hot your skillet is).
Remove cooked tortilla from the skillet and keep warm while you roll out and cook the remaining tortillas.

One of these I cooked over a lower heat for a longer time and I found it dried out a bit in the center and was very similar to a cracker. That gives me some ideas...

No comments:

An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.