Thursday, March 8, 2007

An Unmitigated Disaster

That was dinner the night before last. I ran out of time as I thought of endless meals to which we were missing at least one key ingredient. In the end I found some brats from our "local" butcher* and decided to boil them, broil them, and make potato pancakes. Hello cholesterol, goodbye arteries. But, our arteries were saved because the brats had gone bad. In the freezer, yes. This is the only drawback to using a local butcher, they don't use nearly as many preservatives as the mass producers. I'm not complaining. I should have realized. My fault, not theirs. I appreciate the lack of extra preservatives in my food. While my father undauntedly ate two of the offending brats, my mother sat silently swearing at me in her mind because she had had a rough day and was tired and hungry and dammit, dinner was a failure. She said it was alright, but it was the "it's alright" of a very disappointed and famished person. I don't blame her. (See post on teasing hungry people below.)

My shame led to a very successful dinner last night. I had my honor to defend here. On the menu:
Green salad with homemade Italian dressing
Italian roast beef
Marinara sauce over bowtie noodles
Individual banana cream pies

My reputation has been saved (further proof and details to come soon).

*I quote "local" because while this is a small butcher, we have to drive about 40 minutes to get there. But I suppose it isn't any further than our preferred grocery store. Unfortunately, our actual local grocery store has dismal produce, and when that is the bulk of your shopping cart, you pick your grocery store based on the quality of their produce. I refuse to shop somewhere that sells me onions that start sprouting and rotting within the week, celery that is rotting in its bag in the store and shrivelled green peppers.

No comments:

An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.