Monday, March 26, 2007

Colorful Breakfast

I had a wonderful breakfast this morning that also happened to be very colorful. Two of our dyed eggs, strawberries (more than just three. I thought three would look nice in the picture), and a piece of homemade bread with butter and honey. That is no ordinary honey. It's pumpkin honey. We got it last fall when we went to pick out pumpkins for our Jack O' Lanterns. It has a delicate flavor and you can definitely taste flowers. While I love clover honey, this is far superior. It's so good, I've refused to use it in my tea. I spread the pumpkin honey on bread and biscuits only.

2 comments:

Jennifer Beauchamp said...

Is there any way to warm up already hard boiled eggs or do you have to eat them cold to prevent overcooking?

The Muttering Chef (Kristen) said...

I eat them cold. You could try following the method on this website: http://www.ellenskitchen.com/recipebox/eggsfaq.html#softboil. Maybe soft or medium boil them, then refrigerate and when you want to reheat them, stick them in some hot tap water.

Of course, Ellen seems to think boiled eggs can only be eaten for three days afterwards. Uh, we boiled our eggs, they sat in the refrigerator for a week, then we colored them this weekend, and now we're eating them. But I tend not to follow a lot of the "don't eat this or you'll die a horrible poisoned death" rules. I don't serve those things to guests, but I'll eat them myself after inspecting (smell, look for mold, etc.) I don't like to waste food.

An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.