Friday, March 9, 2007

My favorite tools


Erin, over at A Dress a Day (see sidebar), had a recent post about appreciating your tools. Whilst making Swedish Meatballs this evening, I realized that I had chosen my favorite kitchen tools. I love this fish spatula because it allows me to get beneath even the most stubborn things. Pancakes? No problem. Meatballs? Easy. Fish? Uh, what's that? Oh, that sea meat you make about once a month? Is that what I'm intended for? I had no idea! What a concept!

The tongs, oh the tongs. Now, my mother tends to reach for these tiny plastic tongs that I think she got with a take-out meal sometime in the past. Those have melted edges. She teases me about how I always choose the largest implement possible to do whatever job I need done. (My dad, on the other hand, chooses the smallest. Seeing him stirring a pot with a teaspoon -the type you eat with, not measure with- is NOT an uncommon sight.) I think I'm about the only person who regularly grabs these tongs. Everyone else seems to hate them because they claim they pinch. I suppose when you don't understand that you should grip the tongs about halfway up instead of at the pivot, that's your punishment. :)

My mother used to have one of those wooden rolling pins with the handles. You know the type? That makes a slight rattling noise as you flatten something (or in this case, crush some crackers into powder)? I loved that! But I also love this rolling pin. It's fabulous.

The timer (ticking type in the mid-ground, not the digital one in the background). My mom has always used these, and like most people, I feel what's good for mom is good for me. I love the sound of this thing slowly clocking how long my meal has been cooking. We use the digital one when the times exceed one hour. It's good, but I check it constantly to make sure it's still counting down the time. No reassuring ticking there.

A while back I posted about a broccoli dish and in the photo of the beautiful vegetable was my favorite knife. A butcher's knife. I love that thing. Again, biggest possible instrument for the job. I'll probably end up married to a really big guy, but love him to death for all the things he can do for me with such vast capabilities compared to all those tiny men! (And there are a LOT of them around, aren't there? I'm not a huge woman, but I am slightly tall and not small boned or fleshed and it makes finding a guy really difficult. I would love to let go of inhibitions and be one of those big women with a small man, but it's just not in me. I can't help but imagine squashing him like a bug between my fingers.)

Perhaps I've had one glass of wine too many tonight....

No comments:

An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.