Sunday, March 25, 2007

Spring, Part Deux - Foliage Revenge

Another picture heavy post. We have a new Nikon D80 in our house. Oh my, how I love it. The sparrows are very lively these past few days. We can see them finding mates and collecting twigs and stems from last year's flowers and herbs for their nests. We've cleaned out the bird houses and hope to have another family of house sparrows dwelling outside the picture window in the kitchen. We also put another one near the bird feeders. The plants are starting to pop up in the garden, as well. This is Dragon's Blood Sedum, which can be used (I think) for a green roof. The tulips, which we've planted in the grass for two reasons. Once they've finished blooming, you can just mow them down. Also, you don't risk digging them up while planting other plants in your garden. The crocus have also come up and are in full bloom.
And we dyed eggs, because they're so pretty, but we got a package of dying tablets that had problems. The red wouldn't dye anything, so we added some drops of red food coloring to that water. The purple wasn't purple, it was blue. We added red to that, too, and ended up with a horrible puce color. That egg ended up in blue dye, thus the multitude of blue eggs. I think next year I'm going to try natural dyes. Red cabbage, onion skins, spinach water... I think those would be really pretty. But what made me happiest of all? The mint is coming up again! I think when I own my own house, I'm going to get rid of all the grass and just plant a bunch of mint. It's so beautiful and it smells wonderful. It makes fabulous tea. I also use it to make a minted simple syrup which I then put in flavored, iced black tea.

No comments:

An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.