Sunday, February 25, 2007

Geeky Joy

Unlike many Wisconsinites who have apparently lost all contact with reality and stayed in this weekend for fear of the deadly storm, I went and did a few errands yesterday. I have been feeling a little under the weather emotionally lately, mostly the effect of a very long, very slow search for a job. So, I made a trip to a bookstore. I debated going to one of my favorite political bookstores in downtown Madison, but I felt the roads mixed with less-than-intelligent drivers made that a bad choice. So, I ended up at a chain bookstore, but a very nice one that caters to a highly educated neighborhood.

I don't venture into bookstores as often as I would like because I buy more than is necessary every time. I managed to restrain myself this time and only bought two books (Nalo Hopkinson's newest novel and The Darker Nations). After that purchase, I realized I hadn't browsed the magazines. Am I ever glad I decided to look around. I found Gastronomica, a journal printed by the University of California Press. This is the best find in a long time! What is better than a quarterly journal that "is a vital forum for ideas, discussion, and thoughtful reflection on the history, literature, representation, and cultural impact of food?"*

*This quote is lifted from the Gastronomica website which I've linked in the sidebar.

No comments:

An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.