Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Love Those Greens

Looking in my refrigerator last night I realized:

1) I have 2 gallons of kale to eat.
2) I forgot to store my last kohlrabi bulb properly and it was starting to get soft.

So, with those two vegetables in mind and a craving for pepperoni, I whipped up a quick meal. Oh, I also had a craving for olives, which... if you really like olives (which I do), you can add. But, to be honest I felt they overpowered everything else. The olive-less bites were very tasty all on their own. So, if I was to do this again, I'd just have the olives on the side. I added some whole grain crackers, slices of cheddar cheese, and some fruity red wine. When finished with some dark chocolate, it was a great (fast) meal.



Kale and Kohlrabi with Pepperoni

1 tsp black pepper olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thick
1 medium kohlrabi bulb, peeled and julienned
2 inches link pepperoni, quartered lengthwise and then sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 c kale, washed and sliced into 2 inch strips
1/2 c green onion, cut in 2 inch long pieces
salt and pepper to taste

In a cast iron pan, heat the olive oil and garlic over medium heat.
When garlic is fragrant, add kohlrabi and continue cooking, stirring rarely.
Once kohlrabi starts to turn golden, add pepperoni and continue cooking until kohlrabi is very golden.
Add kale, green onion, and salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until kale is wilted, but not soggy.
Serve while warm with cheese, crackers, and olives.

1 comment:

Mary Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.