Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Goodness of Garlic

I was pretty much famished by the time I got down to making dinner last night. Due to some exercise related protesting from my legs, I decided to take it easy last night. So instead of the planned bike ride, I took my pups for a long, leisurely walk (read: I was in too much pain to walk fast). While this did result in a great deal less pain today, it also meant it was late when I got home. Whilst on the walk, I was dreaming of pizza and wine (having to walk by a pizza parlor did not help). Knowing the state of the vegetables in my refrigerator (many), I passed up pizza and instead made pasta. I whipped up a garlic cream sauce, sauteed some kale and parboiled some pea pods, mixed it all, and topped it with a little bit of shredded cheddar cheese before eating. It definitely hit the spot and made me happy that I didn't cave to the enticing pizza perfume.

Pasta with Garlic Cream Sauce and Vegetables

2 c pea pods, washed, cut in half
1 tsp oil (I used a basil olive oil)
1 1/2 c kale, washed and chopped
2 oz pasta (I used dried because I didn't have any fresh)
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil (again, I used the basil olive oil)
6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
4 tsp flour (this is a reduction, I actually used 5)
salt and pepper to taste
1 c milk
cheddar cheese, shredded

Put pea pods in a pot, cover with water and place over high heat.
Bring to a boil, cook for about 2 minutes, then drain.
In the same pot, put a generous amount of water and bring to a boil over high heat.
Add a large pinch of salt, stir, then add the pasta to cook. Cook to al dente as directed on the package.
While pasta is cooking, heat a skillet over medium high heat and add 1 tsp oil.
When oil is shimmering, add kale and stir fry until wilted, then remove from heat.
Once pasta is done cooking, pour into a sieve and let drain.
Place that same pot over medium low heat and add butter and 1 tbsp oil.
Once the butter has melted and is crackling, add garlic and cook, stirring, until garlic just starts to turn golden.
Add flour, salt and pepper and stir until smooth. Let this bubble, stirring, for about a minute.
Slowly add the milk, whisking until smooth.
Cook until sauce thickens, then add the pea pods, kale, and pasta and toss.
Before serving warm, top with cheddar cheese.

No comments:

An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.