Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Two years later...

It's like a movie segue. I guess I'm just bad about consistently keeping this blog rolling. If anyone out there still checks this, a new recipe for you. It's nothing fancy, just a quick meal that I put together last night (and again tonight). I wanted an omelet, but I didn't want a heavy one. So, I sauteed some vegetables (yellow bell pepper, shallots, and artichoke hearts) and decided I would see how pesto and avocado do as a substitute for cheese. I really enjoy this omelet, especially since it's out of the ordinary.

Omelet with Artichoke, Pesto, and Avocado

1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 small shallot, peeled and sliced
1/4 of a yellow bell pepper, chopped
3 artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 tsp butter
3 eggs
pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp pesto
1/4 of an avocado, peeled and sliced

In a small frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the shallot, pepper, and artichoke hearts. Saute, stirring frequently, until pepper and shallots start to soften. Turn off the heat.

In a large frying pan, heat the butter over medium to medium low heat. Beat the 3 eggs with the salt in a bowl. Swirl the butter around in the pan to coat the bottom, then pour in the eggs. Once they are firm enough, use your spatula to loosen it from the bottom of the pan and flip. Spread the pesto onto half of the egg. Layer the avocado over that, and then add the sauteed vegetables over that. Fold the egg in half to cover the fillings and transfer to a plate.

I've been eating this with a side salad of green leaf lettuce and cherry tomatoes drizzled with balsamic vinegar. It's a nice little, fast meal.

No comments:

An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.