Monday, June 28, 2010

Oh internet

So, apparently there is a conspiracy to prevent me from updating my blog on a daily basis. Enter "loss of Internet for the weekend." Well, despite the inability to post, I did not fast over the weekend, far from it. I have too many vegetables to eat! So many, in fact, that I incorporated them into my breakfast. Enter "the breakfast sandwich." It's oh so delicious and envied by other breakfast sandwiches that lack its vitamin richness. Or so we can imagine in our little world of walking-talking breakfast sandwiches. I imagine those fast food ones would be the kids getting picked on. Or, maybe I have it backwards and they're actually the popular kids and my little guy is the outcast. Good thing it's all in our imaginations. Except the sandwich; it really is tasty!

Egg and Kale Breakfast Sandwich

2 slices hearty whole grain bread, toasted
1 tbsp cream cheese
1 tsp butter
2 eggs
1/2 tsp black pepper olive oil
6 medium to small kale leaves, washed and torn in half
salt and pepper to taste

Once bread is toasted, spread 1/2 tbsp cream cheese on each slice.
Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add butter.
At the same time, heat a small cast iron pan over medium-high heat and add the oil.
Once the butter is melted and sizzling, tilt pan to spread and then crack the eggs into the pan. Break the yolks and salt and pepper "to taste."
Once the oil is shimmering in the other pan, tilt pan to spread and then add kale.
While your eggs are cooking, occasionally stir the kale until wilted. Remove from heat.
When eggs are mostly done, flip and cook the rest of the way.
When eggs are done, put kale on one slice of the bread, top with eggs and then the second piece of bread.
Eat while hot.

No comments:

An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.