Monday, April 19, 2010

Summer Inspiration

Summer is coming. I suppose I could say that spring is here, but thinking that summer is coming makes me even happier. Especially since I live in Maine, and spring is quite the roller coaster. A couple weekends ago it was so warm I braved a 45 degree lake to help friends put in their dock. At least, I think it was 45 degrees. It was quite cold, but sitting on the dock in the warm afternoon sun made it all worthwhile. This past weekend was... maybe in the 40s and rainy. I'm not exactly sure because I avoided going outside as much as possible, especially after I saw snow on people's cars. Snow! So, spring is here in Maine, but summer is what I look forward to.

One of my favorite summer activities is grilling. I mean real grilling, the kind with charcoal. I'm amazed at the number of people who feel that a gas grill counts; it doesn't. Gas grills are just outdoor broilers. Charcoal is real fire and imparts a flavor that gas grills will never match. I love slow grilling the most. Circle of coals, chicken split in half, basting, turning, adding coals to keep the heat going, basting, turning, repeat as necessary. This is best achieved while sipping a beer or a glass of wine and soaking up sun in a lawn chair. And now my deep secret... I don't own a grill. I've lived here coming on three years and this will be my fourth summer in this apartment. It's time to get that grill, don't you think? And a lawn chair. I don't own one of those either. Once I have those and Maine makes up its mind to be warm, I will start grilling.

In the meantime, I have found a decent substitute that gives me a charred flavor - my broiler. It's electric, so it has one up on those gas grills. No gas flavor, take that gas grills! I've also stuck with vegetable dishes. Not sure why, exactly. I love meat, but just haven't been buying it as of late. I have, however, been buying asparagus like it's going out of style. The first dish below was made for a potluck. As a friend once pointed out, vegetable dishes seem to get overlooked in the world of potlucks. The second was because I had those vegetables in my house and some soba noodles. Two different flavors from one great cooking method, the broiler.

Asparagus, Green Bean and Roasted Red Pepper

3 red bell peppers
1 bunch asparagus, ends snapped off and chopped into 1 1/2 inch pieces
3 cups green beans, trimmed and chopped into pieces
6 large shallots, peeled and sliced thick
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Move one oven rack to the top position and the second to the position just below that and set your oven to broil.
Place the red bell peppers, whole on the top rack, leaving the door open a crack.
As the top side of the bell peppers turn black, turn; continue turning until all sides are blackened.
While peppers are roasting, mix the asparagus, green beans, shallots, oil, salt and pepper on a cookie sheet; make sure to coat everything well with the oil.
When you turn the peppers to the last side for roasting, place the other vegetables on the rack below the peppers. (It's good if the peppers drip onto the other vegetables.)
When peppers are done roasting, remove from oven and place in a bowl of cold water; move the other vegetables up to the top rack and leave the door open a crack. Stir occasionally.
Peel skin off peppers, seed and chop. Be careful because the air inside the peppers will be very hot and steamy!
Place peppers in a bowl.
When other vegetables are done and slightly browned, add to the bowl with the peppers and stir.
This really good served over quinoa.

Asparagus, Snap Peas, and Leek

2 large bunches asparagus, ends snapped off and chopped into 4 pieces lengthwise
4 cups snap peas, de-stringed and rinsed
2 leeks, dark green tops and root trimmed off, sliced in half lengthwise and then sliced into 1/2 inch pieces - rinse
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 package soba noodles (enough for 4 servings)
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp soy sauce

Set oven rack to the top position and turn your oven to broil setting.
Mix asparagus, snap peas, leeks, olive oil, salt and pepper and then divide between two 9x13 inch cake pans.
Place pans in the oven on the top rack, leaving the door open a crack.
Stir occasionally.
Remove vegetables when tender and slightly brown.
Drizzle with soy sauce and mix.
Bring a pot of water to a boil and add soba noodles.
Cook for 4 minutes, drain and rinse with cold water.
Place noodles back in pot, drizzle with sesame oil and toss.
To serve, place 1/2 serving of soba noodles in a bowl and spoon vegetables over the top.
An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.