Sunday, January 4, 2009

Breakfast Review - Bintliff's American Cafe

So, I mentioned that Kurt, Jen and I were going to try to go to Bintliff's American Cafe. Well we ended up going twice. The food was wonderful and I really love the atmosphere. The color scheme is eggplant and cream, which gives a cozy feel while allowing it to be properly bright for a brunch cafe. They play jazz and the walls are decorated with old photos and documents from 1800s grocery stores and sailing logs. While waiting for a table, you can enjoy a cup (or three) of their Coffee by Design blend. Jen was happy to discover that they will give you soy milk for your coffee, even when you're standing waiting. The menu is full of creative and tempting options. The first morning Kurt and I both ordered the Eggs Benedict and Jen ordered the Vegetable Hash with an English muffin. The mountain of vegetable hash was perfectly cooked so that the vegetables were done without being overdone. The eggs Benedict was absolutely perfect! You know how most times, when you order this dish, the hollandaise sauce is an obscene yellow goop over undercooked eggs and slightly burnt English muffins? Well, at Bintliff's the sauce is thin, flavorful, and I believe freshly made. The eggs were perfectly done and the muffin was crisp and perfectly browned. Their three potato hash is also divine. It's a combination of sweet potato, red potatoes and either russets or Yukon gold. Besides fresh thyme, there was a spice in them that I couldn't quite put my finger on, but it reminded me of one of the warm flavors in jerk seasoning - perhaps allspice? Jen and I shared one of their chocolate chip macadamia nut pancakes. It was fluffy without dissolving in the syrup and there were just the right amount of chips and nuts to add flavor without being over powering. Kurt ordered the fruit plate. He was disappointed to find that it was half melons. Other than my mom, nobody in my family is a fan of melon. Seeing that Kurt hadn't eaten half his fruit, our waiter did not charge us for it. We were so happy with the meal that we went back the next day, even without a reservation.

The second morning I had the Raspberry Almond pancakes, which were delicious, with a side of maple sausage and eggs. The sausages were so large, I could have shared them with someone else and gone without the eggs. Now I know. Kurt had their Georgia Pecan Carmel waffle, which he enjoyed. Jen had their Dark Chocolate waffle with a side of medium rare steak. Once again we were all full to the brim and completely satisfied with our meals. Now I know why everyone waits at Bintliff's for their brunch. I highly recommend it to anyone who finds themselves in the area.

No comments:

An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.