Monday, September 10, 2007

Cream of Turnip and Carrot Soup

The cool weather and my need to use some turnips inspired this recipe. Turnips can be a bit sharp in flavor, so I decided to use carrots to balance them. It worked very well. The soup is slightly sweet and savory. Since thyme works well with both turnips and carrots, I used that for seasoning. I also used some saved bacon grease to add a bit of flavor. The measurement for water comes from the amount of water I needed to just cover the vegetables and I used that measurement to determine how many teaspoons of bouillon I added. Make this if you want a light, but warm meal. I ate mine with some toast made from homemade white bread.

1 tbsp bacon grease
5 small to medium turnips, peeled and cubed small
5 medium carrots, peeled and diced small
2 1/2 c water
2 tsp chicken bouillon
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
pinch of thyme
1 to 2 c whole milk

Heat bacon grease in a soup pot over medium-high heat until sizzling.
Add turnips and carrots and saute for a minute or two.
Add water, chicken bouillon, black pepper and thyme.
Bring to a boil.
Turn down heat and simmer until vegetables are very tender.
Fill your blender with hot tap water a few times to make sure the glass is not cold.
Add soup, in small amounts, to the blender.
**Make sure that you do not completely seal the lid, or it WILL explode!!**
The best method is to remove the center of the lid, or keep it ajar so that steam can escape, then **tent with a towel** so that the hot soup does not splash on you while blending.
Blend the soup in batches, until smooth.
Return to the soup pot and place over medium heat.
Add enough milk to make the soup creamy.
Heat to desired serving temperature.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never made a recipe with turnips before, so I'm not sure what possessed me to buy 2 big ones at the store yesterday. I searched Tastespotting for Turnips and this came up - so Cream of Turnip and Carrot Soup it is! Thanks!

The Muttering Chef (Kristen) said...

I'm so glad that
1)I could be of help!
2)Someone I don't know found my blog!

I hope you enjoyed the soup!

Claudine said...

I will be trying your recipe today! I tasted a cream soup with turnips and carrots only recently and I fell in love with the flavor. I wish to experiment enough to get as close as I can get to the one I ate last summer. Your recipe will be the first potage I try :)

Claudine said...

So I have tried it and I loved it :) It's not the taste I was looking for though, so I will keep trying (after I'm done eating the one I just did!).

Also, a huge thanks for your explanation for your ingredient dosage. It was impossible to balance the recipe to the amount of vegetables I had, so the "enough water to just submerge the vegetables" and "add milk until soup-like consistency" were VERY helpful. :)

The Muttering Chef (Kristen) said...

Oh good! Because in all honesty, I feel lazy when I write things like that. But, I'm not an expert recipe writer, I just write how I cook. I think people would be less intimidated by cooking if they realized that there aren't that many hard and fast rules. Well, there are some. For example, a friend made glazed carrots, but omitted the pre-cooking of the carrots. So, she ended up with burnt sugar on crunchy carrots. :)

An (admittedly sporadic) cooking diary.